Saturday, February 27, 2010

Are you a transvestite?

Woah! Thanks for all your input re my buttons! Hahaha I still have no idea which ones I'm going to use. At the moment I'm slightly more inclined towards the coat of arms buttons just because I seem to have misplaced one of the brass domes and I can't really be bothered looking for it!

I'm very excited as it's a long weekend this weekend (I have no idea what Monday's public holiday is... nor do I particularly care!!). Michael has gone camping, so I get to spend the whole weekend shut up in my house sewing (hopefully interspersed with some bits and pieces of study if I'm feeling like a good girl).

I am FINALLY feeling inspired and have plans for a top and a dress. Hopefully I'll have something to show you by the end of the weekend.

Here is the sweater refashion that I have been working on ever since I joined Wardrobe Refashion.
DSCF0393DSCF0422DSCF0404


This is it in its unadulterated state:

Copy of DSCN0741
Copy of DSCN0742

I found it in a garbage bag at the back of my mum's wardrobe. Someone gave it to her in about 1995 and she always hated it so she felt bad about throwing it away. It was a nice fabric and I really liked the cable knit at the back (I think that's what it's called), so I thought it would be a great idea to make it smaller and wear it backwards (with the buttons at the back). My overlocker broke halfway through and the bloke who fixes it has been a prick so it's taken FOREVER!

I originally intended to wear it with my black harem pants, so I dyed it "black". My usual dye supplier was on holiday so I bought shitty, yet expensive, dye from Spotlight (I think I spent about $40 on it!!!) and obviously it's not at all black... but I do like the colour! Unfortunately it looks like crap with my black harem pants, so if I was going to do it again I would not have bothered dyeing it!

Apart from the broken overlocker and dye debacle it was really easy to do. I cut off the waistband and sleeveband (don't know the proper name), leaving a 1cm seam allowance. Then I removed the sleeves and cut about 7cm off the bottom. I reattached to the sleeveband to the armhole (to create tiny little sleeves) then used my overlocker to remove about 5cm from each side seam. Then I reattached the waistband and changed the buttons. DONE!

It's soooo hot in Perth at the moment. I've had to sleep in the lounge room with the aircon on all night! And my self esteem has taken a bit of a beating as one of the psychiatric patients asked me yesterday if I am a transvestite! Although I'm not too insulted as he wanted to hold my hand and kiss me 5 minutes later (although maybe he just has a thing for trannies??). HILARITY!

12 comments:

  1. I love your top. So cute, with putting the buttons at the back, I'm filing it away for future reference.... And your shorts! Fantastic exposed zips!!
    Isn't the dye situation at Spotlight horrendous?!! Whatever happened to the Dylon range you could get at the chemist, when they had a range of about thirty colours in tiny coin-shaped packages, for about $4-5 each.... I miss those...
    Thanks for your comments! I understand about medicos,, I'm married to one... you are going to be busy and I'm deeply impressed you are still sewing and blogging, don't stop! I love reading your blog!
    Enjoy your weekend away from the psych ward!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sorry, forgot. The Ribstop cotton comes in other colours, khaki, black, white I think a kind of mushroom pink?? I'm doing all this from memory so you may get there and find I'm completely wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite adorable! You look wonderful. I love the buttons and the collar down the back. I always find that if i use too much navy blue dylon my samples come out black (but thats what samples are for!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you did to this sweater. It's sensational...I love when something is worn in a different way than it was intended. I don't see how even a psych patient could think you are a trannie. Funny though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your sweater refashion! It's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks ever so much better after you refashioned it. You took it from looking granny to looking glorious so well worth the time and trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to send you a couple of scarves to keep you warm this winter. Send me your address at my email (cindirose67 AT yahoo DOT com) and by the time the dead of winter set in you will at least be acessorized properly.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a change! I really love the color and they way it's worn backwards (I've been turned onto that ever since seeing Janet Leigh do the same in 'Touch of Evil'). Oh, and you look super cute as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you outfit! You have fanatstic style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great, I like the way you put the front at the back and vice versa! And I totally love your shorts...
    Alos, I must say you have a waist that I couldn't even dream of (I might get close to it if I wear my kick ass corset that may have been invented by a sadist...) so don't let anyone make you feel like you're not totally the way you should be, you have a great figure, honestly (with your comment on another blog in mind).
    I'm looking forward to the dress when it's finished. I'm working on one too, that might take a long time too (too many things in the way!)...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog today through Sew Retro... Your sweater refashion looks great, and you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, cute! So cute! Nice work on the alteration, I am usually too scared to tackle knits but this has inspired me to give it a crack next time.

    Re the incident, HA! You are drop dead gorgeous, a trannie would have to work pretty darn hard to look anything like you!

    ReplyDelete