Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday!

I cannot articulate how glad I am it's Friday. I have been struggling at uni due to the fact that I HAVE DONE NO WORK ALL YEAR due to the fact that I'M INCREDIBLY ADDICTED TO SEWING!

Every night this week I've been just about to start studying... and then I think "I'll just refashion this cardigan and I'll study tomorrow...". And then the next day I'll think "I'll just refashion these shorts and then I'll study at 8.30"... Then at 8.30 I will go to bed as I am a nanna. Grrr!

Anyway, my battery ran out before I could take photos of my new refashioned cardigan (it's very well made, warm and useful, but quite boring, so you're not missing out on much). I did manage to take some (blurry) photos of my new shorts, however. (Sorry, it's a bit late in the day for photos, but I didn't want to wait until tomorrow.)

I didn't take any before pictures, because they were just a pair of men's business trousers, and we all know what they look like! This is what I did:
1) Cut off the legs
2) Cut the scallop at the front
3) Made bias binding out of the fabric from legs
4) Sewed bias binding to the hem and blind hemmed it
5) Hand sewed white lace trim (what I had left over from my chemise top) onto the pockets and the scallop
6) Replaced generic plastic buttons with vintage glass buttons (also left over from chemise top)

Was very quick and very easy! I'm not actually into what I'm wearing with them. I feel they need some red heels and some sort of "sailor" top. However I have neither so you'll have to make do with inferior styling for the photos.


DSCF0487
DSCF0504
DSCF0506

29 comments:

  1. They look amazing! I love the scallop detail with the lace peeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! And they look really good combined with your lace-top too :-).
    I agree, it's FRIDAY!
    And tomorrow I'm off to the alps to ski, yippie! That + spring-sun outside the window = bubbly stomach in a good way!
    Have a great weekend ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super duper CUTE!! I love the detail at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. um SOOOOOOO CUTE. Make free stuff for me i got fired today :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute idea! Oh and I'm in love with your orange shoes. Enjoy your weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just too adorable. I agre tha red heels and a sailor top would complete the outfit. Now get to studying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm completely the same, making my own clothes seems to prioritise over any uni work I have, which is probably why I am so behind!! :( Anyhow, these shorts are beautiful, I love what you did with the front & the lace is so pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute.

    Thanks so much for paying me a visit on my Jason Wu post and for the Jane Seymour compliment. You made my day.

    I have been coming to your blog for quite awhile now. You are just so cute and so talented. I have decided that it is time for me to sign up as a follower and put you on my blog list so I don't miss any of your posts.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable I am going to have to try this. I have no clue how to sew a bias onto a scallop so it might be tricky.

    ♥Darla

    ReplyDelete
  10. These shorts are soooo adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found you're blog from BurdaStyle! I love those shorts, they're so cute! I know what you mean, I've been trying to balance midterms while on a sewing mania, I actually forgot I had one because I was sewing non-stop. I feel like it's my life (again!). Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're gorgeous! I'l have to make some of these when it gets warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! Your post made me laugh. I am putting off school work as I write this. How adorable are these shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great pair of shorts!
    www.thewardrobediaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love how you put lace on them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahahah,
    well,
    nanna,
    your shorts,
    are quite
    fabulous
    and sexy for
    someone who goes to bed
    so early.

    The scalloped edges are A.W.E.S.O.M.E. and the lace to finish them off are sooo good!! Kvestion: how can you make a bias hem from another item?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of the most fun remakes I've seen. LOVE these shorts! So creative - good job you.

    OMG, thank goodness I did not discover sewing when I was in college (American university). I would have failed out.

    P.S. - your dress below rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How cute! Good luck with the studies. I know how hard it can be. Try being physically away from the sewing machine - it's horrible, but it might help...

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is such a cute idea!! I saw some 90's JCrew khakis today at Goodwill Outlet and though about getting them but was afraid they'd look to old lady/Monica in 1st season of Friends. I could have done this with them, though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is INCREDIBLY darling, so original, cheap, and relatively easy to do...the scalloping also makes the legs look longer...you look great in them and thanks so much for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WHAT. How cute are those? Will copy in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Has anyone told you that you look a lot like Carry (Sex & The City) hehehe

    And of course you sew great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. These shorts are really cute and a great inspiration although I'm not really a shorts wearer. Too much leg for me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ohh Lily...you are so amazing...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Holy moly these shorts are the best! I simply must try this out on a pair of my own. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great look! Love the pop of orange from the shoes!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete